Besides the basics...reading, writing, and arithmetic...they're also learning languages that will help them converse with over 80% of the world.The language they''ll need to converse with the other 20%, they're learning from their peers...
It was extremely difficult to keep a straight face when my son came out of left field with a new diddy that he'd learned, not from his teachers, but rather, his peers.
"I'll give you a nickel if you tickle my pickle."
This is from the same boy who has taught my son some other "mature in nature" information.
At that moment, I wished I had a delete button, to erase the information from his brain. I know that my child's central processing unit never crashes, and he will repeat the diddy again....and again....and again.
It's an interesting position to be in as a parent.
You try to teach your children to like everyone and accept them for who they are, while also explaining to them the ignorance of some of those same people.
I thought I had at least until junior high school to teach my crew about the birds and the bees. Seems I better start practicing my speech sooner!