Tuesday, July 29, 2008

New York City

I don't know what I was even thinking when I was considering taking my four rugrats on a day trip into New York City. We thought it would be fun for them to see and feel the excitement of big city life.

Boy am I relieved that our "Big-City-Educated" family members talked us out of that crazy idea! It would have rated up there in stress level as a trip to the dentist for a root canal....or a spot on a favorite outfit that cannot be removed with OxyMagic and Spray-N-Wash with Resolve Power!

It didn't take much coercion to convince us that a day in the city without children was a much more reasonable plan.

We made use of more public transportation in seven hours than we have in both of our lifetimes combined.

Train. Subway. Ferry. Train again.

And we saw more people commuting on foot than we have ever seen anywhere else. The whole time we were pushing our way through the hustle and bustle of people, I thanked God that we listened to sound advice and left the kids a home.
After arriving at Grand Central Station, we walked north to Central Park. I partook in a relaxing snooze on the grass, surrounded by green trees, a running river, and a sea of people!
A bit recharged, we proceeded to Rockefeller Center, Times Square, and a Disney Store large enough to make Mickey Mouse himself intimidated!

After visiting the Empire State Building and deciding that $19.50 was too high a price to pay for a short-lived view, we took the subway to the World Trade Center and solemnly stood before Ground Zero, amazed at the hole that has been left in the skyline of New York City. Personal stories are posted on walls around the area and bronze memorials of fallen officers are displayed for all to see. I felt a deep sense of sadness for those who witnessed first-hand, the awful events of 9-11.
Although my feet are as sore as if they have been stomped on by elephants, all of the walking was worth it. Not only for seeing the sights, but to work off the mammoth-sized buffalo chicken sandwich that I ate for lunch at a local restaurant!
Maybe in a few more years we'll return with kids in tow. Until then, they'll have to get their New York City culture from the television waves that bring us the Today Show!!!

1 comment:

Michael, Jessica, Jacob & Olivia Catanzaro said...

I'm lucky enough to get to go with Michael to New York once a year on "business". :-) Each time I think I should bring the kids because we get to stay in Times Square on the company dime. And each time, once I'm there, I remember exactly why I leave my kids at home. While the craziness of New York would be even crazier with kids in tow it's more about the 4 or 5 uninterrupted days on my own!