Thursday, September 25, 2008

Career Change

It was 5 years ago today that I accepted the new position.


No application.


No resume.


No interview.

No experience necessary.


I was handed the job without any questions asked.


I've held the position longer than I have any other job.


Longer than my 4 1/2 year long waitressing job at the burger joint that paid my way through college.

Longer than my teaching career that lasted less than 3 years!

There are days when I dream of retiring! Days when I would love to do nothing more than walk in the door, hand in my resignation letter, and walk out the same door to a quieter, more peaceful place...

...Like a deserted island!

A deserted island free of organized sports.A deserted island free of class parties.


A deserted island free of science experiments.A deserted island free of three 5 year old monsters and an even BIGGER 3 year old monster!
But when I applied for this job a little over 5 years ago, I knew there would NEVER be a retirement offered.

No 401k


No paid vacations.


And even worse, no days off!

But five years ago today, on September 25, 2003,at 1:24 pm, 1:25 pm, and 1:26 pm I gladly accepted the best job ever!


Though all of the monetary aspects of this job seem dismal, the emotional perks are out of this world.


I wouldn't trade my job as "Mom," to Angel, Isaac, Bella, or Annie for anything in this world.


Happy Birthday Angel, Isaac, & Bella!

I sure love you!

8 comments:

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

Happy Birthday to your trio! I'm sure it's been a long five years but also the best five years!

Mei-Ling said...

Happy Birthday kids!!! I know you wouldn't trade this job for anything. I feel the same way ;) It's the best job and hardest job ever, but soooo rewarding at the end of the day.

Anonymous said...

You almost never fail to bring tears to my eyes as I read your incredibly emotional but humorous entries. I just want to say...out of all your careers this is your best! You excel at this job for sure! Angel, Isaac, Bella and Annie are very lucky to have a BOSS like you.
Love, MOM

Anonymous said...

You almost never fail to bring tears to my eyes as I read your incredibly emotional but humorous entries. I just want to say...out of all your careers this is your best! You excel at this job for sure! Angel, Isaac, Bella and Annie are very lucky to have a BOSS like you.
Love, MOM

Cris said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIDDOS! It goes by so fast. Seth will be turning 7 on November 5th and it seems so dreamlike to me. Wish I could be there for your celebrations. Love you - Crissy

The Amazing Trips said...

Happy Birthday!!! It's bittersweet to see them grow up, isn't it?!

Dana said...

Happy Birthday Isaac, Angel, and Bella!! I can't believe they're 5 either.

You are an amazing writer, T - what a beautiful entry. You are an even better MOM! They're so lucky to have you as their mom!!

Jocelyn S. Lomahan said...

You are an amazing woman!

Happy Birthday to the kiddos!