Monday, November 23, 2009

Because Everybody Deserves a Lifetime....

There are a lot of ways I could go with this blog post and I struggle with the decision on which way I should choose.
Shall I begin at the beginning and speak of the inspirational kick-start message that was given by the representatives of the Susan G. Komen organization?

Or should I start at the end and work backwards, because after walking 60 miles in 3 days, the word backwards describes me best?Do I post pictures of my already ugly feet that are now adorned with red, raw skin on almost every square inch around the perimeter, or do I spare you the visual? (Sorry folks, can't resist. The following photos may not be suitable for those with weak tummies!)Okay, so it's not THAT bad!

Do I share with you the details of some of the truly unbelievable life stories that I heard from my wonderful teammates, or do I spare the details to keep my friends?

Is it appropriate to post a picture of ladies sporting boobie costumes on my G-rated blog?Should I risk less sympathy and admit that the walk was quite enjoyable not only because of my team and the wonderful group of almost 4,000 other walkers, but because there isn't a more beautiful stretch of 60 miles than in beautiful sunny San Diego?

It doesn't matter which way I choose to start or finish this particular blog post. What matters most is that you realize the amazing inspiration that empowered me and will continue to empower me.

What matters most is that you realize that there are countless amazing women that have fought and are fighting the battle against breast cancer.

Their challenges don't compare to the challenges I faced in this walk, or to any of the other challenges that I have faced in life, for that matter.I was brought to tears over and over when I realized that this disease sees no age limit. I struggled even to look at the photographs of the women my age, with a family much like my own, who lost their battle with breast cancer. Ignorant as it may sound, to me, breast cancer never had the face of a young woman. I pictured it on someone who is older.I'm proud that I participated in an event that strives hard to help change lives.

I'm proud that I walked 60 miles in 3 days and lived to tell about it!

And most importantly, I'm truly amazed and inspired by the hundreds of breast cancer survivors that I shared the sidewalk with for the past 60 miles.

3 comments:

Dana said...

TERRELL!!!! You are so beyond amazing. I can only imagine what a wonderful experience this was for you, your family and your friends. I'm soooo proud of you!!

XO

The Amazing Trips said...

That was such an incredible experience. I'm so glad that I was able to share it with you!!!!

So, are you ready for next year? :)

Deborah Halverson said...

I was proud to walk alongside three amazing teammates . . . and thousands of powerful women! The 3-Day was truly an inspirational event.