Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Some thoughts about the airport...

Whoever came up with the 50 pound weight limit for each piece of check-in luggage--I'd love to wring your neck!!!

You were the cause of much embarrassment for me!

It was nearly as embarrassing as that time I sent the brightly wrapped tampon flying from the depths of my purse while rummaging for my car keys. Most embarrassing was the fact that I was in the midst of hundreds of college students who were storming the pedestrian bridge, in a hurry to vacate school for things more entertaining. While they were storming, they were kicking the tampon from one side of the walkway to the other.

How lucky for me that the suitcase that weighed 9 pounds over the 50 pound limit was the suitcase with mostly my clothes in it.

And how lucky for me that my darling husband happened to place my extra-padded-strapless-water-bra smack-dab on top of the packed suitcase.

So when the airline employee asked us to rearrange our luggage to evenly distribute the weight, my strapless bra was catapulted from the scale to the floor ans back behind the counter.

And how lucky was I that my dear father-in-law was the one fumbling and rebounding my unmentionables?

It probably crossed his mind that had I been wearing my extra-padded-strapless-water-bra I could have saved myself much embarrassment, for clearly it weighed nearly 9 pounds!

* * *
And if that wasn't a scene enough, I continued my show upstairs.
Irate that the grumpy airline employee wouldn't pre-board passengers with young children, onto a flight already 2 hours delayed, my assertive husband and his equally assertive parents, began to demand justice. The show my children put on previously for our fellow weary, waiting passengers had nothing on this. With a line 200 yards long, the employee explained for the umteenth time that we must move aside, as it wasn't yet our turn. And as if to add insult to injury, we didn't have our paper tickets.
Blame was placed on the sweet employee who checked us in-and inadvertently handled my flying bra. She must have mistakenly kept our paper tickets. The scene played round and round like a skipping movie on a DVD player.
We were SURE--we were not in possession of the paper tickets.
And then, as if a voice from above told me to reach into my purse, I wrapped my fingers around-PAPER TICKETS---all 8 of them!
I considered keeping a secret, but I wasn't willing to be the cause of any further commotion or delay. By the looks I got, I was sure that there was never a moment where my husband wanted to disown me more that he did at that moment!

1 comment:

Celtic Kitten said...

Me too with the 50 pounds. How embarrassing is it that we need 50 pounds of clothes? But I do pack things like the hair dryer, an extra book, more shoes than I'd need in a lifetime, etc.