Thursday, January 17, 2008

Righty or Lefty

One fourth of my children are left-handed. But the other day at preschool, Isaac joined Bella in this oddity.


When I returned to the kids' preschool class on Friday to gather my crew, their teacher was showing me the projects that they had participated in that day. They were making a line graph, displaying which of the students in the class wrote with their right hand, and which wrote with their left.


Because I daily watch my children manipulate toys, puzzles, and writing devices, I knew that Bella was a lefty, while the other three were righty's. But on Friday, Isaac convinced his teacher that he wrote with his left hand.


She laid the paper out on the table in front of me, proving by the neatness of the two names that he had written, that sure enough, he wrote better with his left hand. The nice and neat "Isaac" that was all in a line and separated correctly between letters, was said to be written with his left hand. Right below it, in a way that would make a chicken proud, was the "Isaac" he supposedly wrote with his right hand.


"Are you sure he wrote that one with his left hand?" I asked over and over, and with an almost convincing assurance, his teacher replied with a, "Yes, I'm sure." I wasn't going to argue the fact that I wasn't convinced, so I simply dropped the subject.


It wasn't until Monday that the truth came out. As I walked through the door to once again gather my crew, his teacher met me with eager anticipation, to clue me in on the sneakiness perspicuity of my son.


"Isaac fooled me. He completely and totally tricked me, and I fell for it!"


You see, maybe it's because he's surrounded by femininity; by pinks and purples, and everything girlie, but Isaac did not want his hand printed in red, hung on the wall for everyone to see. Blue is the color that represents a boy, and on that Friday, blue was the color that was representing the hands of the lefties.



So a lefty was Isaac on that particular Friday.

5 comments:

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

What a sneaky guy. How did he get the teacher to believe he wrote better with his left hand?? They are smarter than we think at times!!

The Amazing Trips said...

I can't say I blame him - his logic makes good sense to me. What a smart guy!

Anonymous said...

Aren't 2 of your kids left handed? If 1/4 of them are, does that mean you secretely have four more kids?

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant secretly.

kamahiclan said...

I stand corrected--Angel is a lefty these days also. We tested her today at school!

Thanks anonymous--whoever you are, you know my kids better than me!!