Friday, March 28, 2008

The Little Salesman

I bet the marketing agent who designed the commercial for the "Toby Machine" had no idea that his target audience would be a 4 year old boy concerned for his mother. A couple of Saturday mornings ago, his audience was just that.

The conversation couldn't have come at a more appropriate time. I was in the laundry room, washing and folding clothes by the load-full, when my very concerned son came bopping through the door.

"Mom....Mom....Do you want to buy a Toby?"

Caught off guard, I gave him a questioning, blank stare. Because no words escaped my mouth, he continued.

"It washes clothes faster and gets the wrinkles out all at the same time. It's not available in stores. You just call the number on the screen. I don't know the number yet though. I just wanted to see---Do you want to buy one?"

I could do nothing more the grin from ear to ear and scoop my son up off the floor with a great, big bear hug. He is obviously aware of the fact that I spend way too much time in the laundry room. I guess he's also noticed that due to my Type-A neurotic personality, I iron the t-shirts that he and his sisters wear.

What I should have replied to him was, "No son. I don't need a Toby machine. I need a Toby human who can do the laundry from start to finish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My boys said i needed to buy that little device that reminds you of where you put things. You record your vioce and it plays it back for you. What do they mean by that? So i'm a little forgetful! Okay a lot!!!!