Saturday, March 22, 2008

Sticky Fingers

You would never know by looking at him that he is capable of such a thing, but the other day, Isaac's actions could have been punishable by a mother's beating jail time! My sweet spirited, gentle-hearted little boy, tinkered in thievery this past Monday, leaving me, his mother, absolutely mortified.

We went on an outing with our neighborhood friends to a nearby scrapbook store that was having a visit from the Easter bunny. Within the store was a little area with toys for the kids to play with while the mothers shop. Because he lacks toys at his own house, he felt the need to pocket one of the community action figures. I never would have known if his little friend didn't rat him out.

"Isaac has one of the toys from the play area in his pocket!"

Nor would I have been as embarrassed if I hadn't spent the previous 30 minutes discussing with my friend how rowdy and out of control some of the preschool boys were in our kids' class.

Never did it cross my mind that MY OWN son might have little quirks of his own.

And then, as if he was trying to polish his sticky fingers, he made a go at thievery again!

No more than 3 hours later. Also in the presence of my friend.....with whom I was discussing previously about how rowdy and out of control some of the preschool boys were in our kids' class!

Can you say MOR-TI-FIED? Yah, that's exactly what I was when I had to call my friend and tell her that my son stole her son's little, plastic, blue car....because once again, Isaac's bin full of 100+ Matchbox cars was in need of a blue, plastic variety.

She laughed the whole time I wanted to stomp on Isaac's skinny, little, thieving fingers!

But the better punishment came when the prison left a message on our answering machine. Yes, (Ma's) Fulson State Prison called for Isaac, warning him where stealing would get him.

He was probably right up next to me on the mortified scale when he imagined a black and white police car coming to take him away!

I'm hoping this is a habit that makes an immediate exit!

No comments: