Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Protective Mom Syndrome

I suffer from many non-identified syndromes, all which fall under the main category,

Type-A, Neurotic Personality Syndrome
They include, but are not limited to:

Put Everything in its' Rightful Bin Syndrome
Bows Must Match the Outfit Syndrome
A Stain on a Garment Must Never Be Worn Again Syndrome
Never Leave the House With Toys Strewn About Syndrome
Milk Mustaches on the Mouths MUST Be Erased before Entering a Public Place Syndrome
Wash Your Hands Immediately Upon Returning Home From a Public Outing Syndrome
And most recently acquired:
Protective Mother When Child is Lonely at School Syndrome
When picking up the kids from preschool the other day, Isaac had a very forlorn look on his face. His teacher informed me that he had been asking about me all day. He informed me of the same information.
Whenever he wants to tell me something without letting anyone else hear the details, he tells me that he has a secret. Last Friday, he had a secret to tell me.
Bending over so my ear was at the level of his mouth, in a hushed whisper he told me that he was asking for me all day.
"Do you want to know why I was asking for you?" he asked me.
"Of course I want to know why." I replied.
"Because I love you so much."
Just the words I love to hear! I expressed my love for him in return and didn't give the conversation another thought until he brought it up at dinner that same night.
"Do you know why I was asking for you all day at school today? Because I was feeling all alone. No one wanted to play with me except for the girls."
My heart skipped a beat and all I could think of doing was protecting my little boy's feelings. How on earth could no one want to play with my son? The most gentle spirited, easy-going boy in the whole class.
Then at school today, he cried hysterically when it was time for Mark and I to leave the classroom. He clung to Mark like a koala baby does to his mother.
I have my theory on the matter, but none the less, it's a difficult position to be in as a parent.
You see, most of the boys in the class are complete monsters very rambunctious, teetering on disrespectful most days. Isaac just does not fit in with that behavior, and I would never want him to. He would would be black and blue if he ever behaved like those boys!
As a result, he feels that he has no one to play with in the class.
It is my hope that there will be more boys like him in his kindergarten class next year. If not, it's going to be a very long year.
I will have to bite my tongue while trying to teach Isaac the laws of human nature. I never thought the stress of making friends would be an issue at such a young age. Then again, it shouldn't surprise me...most parents these days let the kids run the household.


That's another subject for another day! For today, I'm dealing with Protective Mother When Child is Lonely at School Syndrome!

1 comment:

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

I totally agree with what you're saying! If my boys EVER acted the way some kids do, they wouldn't know what hit them. Parents always ask me how I get my kids to sit still or behave so well and all I can say is, they don't know any other way.

Sometimes I catch my three year old not playing with some of the boys at baseball but it's because they're wild. He just doesn't fit in and I really don't want him to!