Thursday, March 13, 2008

Look Mom... We're Growing Radishes!

I wanted to blow fire from my mouth, straight over to my investigative little son, knocking him plum on his bootie. And if the incident weren't so cute, I may have done just that.


We spent a good part of the afternoon planting more flowers around our yard. We added more petunias, more snap-dragons, and more pansies. We even sprinkled sunflower seeds for a second time, hoping this time they will grow into beautiful flowers rather than feed our neighborhood birds.


I even planted some naked-lady bulbs that were given to us by my mother-in-law. These bulbs were the center of the incident today.


After planting the bulbs in various places, I turned around to plant some of the other flowers adjacent to one of the locations I put the bulbs. While doing so, Isaac declares very excitedly,


"Look Mom! We have radishes coming up!"


I turned to see him proudly holding a group of the naked lady bulbs that I had just secured below ground.

As I said, I wanted to knock him on his bottom, but his excitement was contagious. We all burst into laughter as I explained what he had just excavated.


* * *
Isaac was on a role today. Not long after he escaped the Wrath of Mom during the bulb incident, he escaped it yet again.
A couple of men going door to door selling frozen meat, made the descent up our driveway. The conversation went something like this.
Meat Men: "Have you bought from us before?"
Me: "If you're selling meat, no. We're not meat eaters here."
Meat Men: "Okay. Have a nice---"
Isaac interrupts: "I'm a meat eater. We eat meat here, Mom!"
I wanted to drag him into the house by his nose hairs, but again, I chuckled at his naivety.
Of course we eat meat here. I just don't feel comfortable buying it from a couple of men driving around in a little truck with a garage-style freezer bungee'd to the back!

No comments: