Thursday, November 1, 2007

Bang of a Day

If I knew at 7:45 am what this day would entail for me, I would have stayed cozy warm between my covers until the sun set and the day met it's end. It would be an understatement to say that I had a bang of a day!

It started out as any ordinary Thursday...The kids were at my mom's, so I got to sleep in a bit. At 7:45am I awoke and went for my morning walk. That was followed by my ordinary bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats cereal covered by a half of a banana. It wasn't until I got into my mom's car to head off to get my kids, that the ordinary day turned not so ordinary.

Turning the key to start the engine was not as it should be. Click, click, click....nothing. Dead battery. Should be an easy solution, right? I plugged in the battery charger/starter, but that failed. I talked to Mark to make sure I put the plugs on the correct part of the battery. Positive to positive, negative to negative. The engine still wouldn't turn over.

My mom was then forced to load up my kids and bring them home. On top of loading four kids, four bags full of trick-or-treating candy, two bags of dirty clothes from the day before, and a bag full of miscellaneous junk that the kids felt they needed to bring, she loaded the jumper cables. A device that was sure to do the trick.....

And so, I describe my Bang of a Day!

Because I had already consulted the man of the house about which cable to put on which post, I had it all under control. Problem was, I had 8 pair of eyes watching my every move, and eight feet right under mine. My mom was questioning my every move too, and rightly, she should have been. It was her car that I was "doctoring."

I ever-so-delicately placed the clamps on the posts of my mom's car, making sure not to touch the remaining two together. Under the hood of my van, I placed the clamps on the posts of my battery....BACKWARDS!!


Did you ever wonder why it is stressed that the red should go on the positive post and the black should go on the negative? Allow me the honor of being the first to show you why....
With the force of a space shuttle leaving the ground, the battery in my mom's car exploded, shooting battery acid everywhere, and sending battery shrapnel in all directions. The bang that it sent out, set my four kids onto their feet in a rather upright, uptight position. One half of them were immediately sent into a complete panic attack, adding to the stress of the already STRESSFUL situation. Being that one-half of the one-half that was enduring a panic attack was eating popcorn at the time, she began to choke, sending her own shrapnel flying. To put it plainly, it was an UGLY situation!


It was also confirmation to me that my job is IN the house, not in the garage. The garage is where the Man's job begins, and mine certainly ends.


So as I write this, my mom's nice, pewter colored car, with handsome chrome and gold plated rims, is sitting in my driveway with a battery that looks like it was detonated with a bomb. Nice way to repay a mom who relinquished me of my guilt just hours before! (See previous blog.)


I was happy to see the sun set on the western horizon tonight. It meant that I could call it a day. It is my hope that when it rises in the east tomorrow morning, my day will be worth crawling out of bed for.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'M SURE BY THE END OF THIS "BANG OF A DAY" YOU WERE FEELING A TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF GUILT FOR SURE! IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A WAY TO RELIEVE THE GUILT OF SUCH A HORRENDOUS CRIME...YOU NEED NOT LOOK ANY FURTHER THAN YOUR PANTRY...FOR I'M QUITE SURE YOU PROBABLY HAVE THE REMEDY SITTING RIGHT ON A SHELF...THE INGREDIENTS FOR NONE OTHER THAN "STICKY BUNS"! NOW, I'M NOT QUITE SURE JUST HOW MANY BATCHES OF BUNS WILL DO THE TRICK...JUST KEEP THEM COMING AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU ARE PAID IN FULL. AND REMEMBER, I LIKE THEM FRESH SO A BATCH A DAY FOR THE NEXT YEAR OR SO MAY PROBABLY DO THE TRICK! LOVE, PAPA