Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Un-bear-able

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't one supposed to wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated, after a nice nap? Shouldn't you be in a better mood after an hour of rest and relaxation? Why then, for the past 4 years, have my children woken up looking like this after a rest?

It is a phenomenon that has really got me questioning whether or not the hour that they are asleep is worth the agony that arises upon wake-up. After four years of a "witching hour," I am beginning to rethink my whole opinion of naps.

Yes, don't get me wrong, a quiet hour in the middle of the day is nothing short of a little piece of heaven, but I've come to the conclusion that for the past 4 years, I've had to use that quiet hour to mentally prepare for their wake-up. I've had to escape to a Nicholas Sparks love story to erase the thought of four grumpy bears that will shortly emerge from their dens. How productive is that?

Since I can't cage my bears, I'm considering keeping them entertained with some wonderful activities throughout the afternoon, and sending them into hibernation at an earlier hour each evening. Maybe that will ease the pain of those endless grumpy wake-ups.

If that doesn't work, maybe I can find some honey sweet enough to aide in a happy emergence from hibernation.

I'm thinking they got this trait from Papa Bear. He dreads wake-ups!

No comments: