Monday, November 5, 2007

Catalogue Awareness

Today I could have emptied my house of all of it's coloring books, crayons, Transformers, baby dolls, Legos, puzzles, you name it. There was a new interest at our house today. The Target, Christmas 2007 Toy Catalogue. It was more popular than any new toy I have ever brought home for them.

While the the trio was at school, Annie thumbed through it a zillion times, pointing out Elmo toys, a Dora bike, and more importantly, a farm house toy. Her exact words to me, in her little 2 1/2 year old voice were, "Mommy, when I get bigger, can I live on a farm like this one and have horses?" I expected to turn around and see her perusing the Homes section of the Sunday paper. Nope...with her little index finger stretched out, she was pointing to the add for a plastic farm house whose roof came off. I explained to her that if she wanted to live on a farm when she got older, she would have to find a husband who also wanted to live on a farm. As if she comprehended my comment, she quickly replied, "Okay!"

At the arrival of her siblings, Annie lost control of the "Dora Magazine," as she called it. I actually had to get out a watch with a second hand to make sure no one got it longer than anyone else. A toy catalogue, for crying out loud. Can they not share a toy catalogue? Better yet, if a toy catalogue is so amusing to them, why have we spent all this money on the real toys? We could have saved a fortune by ordering free catalogues from various stores. I wouldn't even be opposed to ordering four of each so as to cut out the fighting all together! What a novel idea.

Most advertisements that I find in the mailbox usually find their home straight in the recycle bin. I now plan to save them for the kids to browse through when I need a few minutes to myself!

No comments: