Thursday, February 14, 2008

Eager Eating

I met a new friend today and thanks to a chocolate valentine heart, neatly wrapped in colorful tin foil, I learned some very valuable information about him, all within 2 minutes.

I learned that Smitty either has no fillings in his teeth, his teeth are removable, or he has no teeth at all! The reason I know this........

My mom is so kind to think of the elderly people who share the living space at the assisted living facility where my grandma resides. Smitty is one of the elderly that I speak of. After my mom handed him his valentine bag full of tasty candies, I helped him untwist the tie, allowing him full access to the sweets. After fingering through a half dozen of the pieces, he finally decided upon a chocolate. With a smile on his face, he dropped it into his mouth and began to chew as if he were eating a steak--more on the well-done side.

For what Smitty, an Alzheimer's patient, failed to do, was remove the colorful tin-foil wrapper that clothed the chocolate morsel.

And I have deducted that he has no fillings, his teeth are removable, or that he has no teeth at all, for the mere fact that instead of immediately spitting it out, he continued to chomp on it. Those of us with fillings would have lit up a room with electricity at the rubbing together of the metals!

Even with my mom nervously shouting at him to, "Spit it out Smitty! Spit it OUT!" he still chewed the treat.

It took the caretaker's gloved hands to finally remove the wrapped morsel from his mouth.

After wiping the nervous sweat from my brow, I had to laugh hysterically at the whole scenario. And I laughed even harder when my mom handed him back his bag of treats and he asked her in confusion, "How do I know which ones I can eat and which ones I can't?"

I'm thinking next year mom should hand out wax lips instead. Unwrapped, of course!

3 comments:

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

Love the lips!! Angelina Jolie has nothing on your girls!

Celtic Kitten said...

Oh my gosh the girls are so cute! Poor Smitty but how sweet of your Mom to think about the seniors that don't have their valentines anymore. This was my Grandfather's first Valentine's Day without his Valentine of 70 years!

Jennifer said...

I have to echo Ashley's comment. Adorable!