Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Little Artists

Second to being told, "Boy, you have your hands full!" I often get the question, "Are they a lot alike?" referring to the triplets.


That question always strikes me as funny, for the very reason that my kids could not be more different; especially Angel and Bella.

Not only are their looks on the opposite side of the spectrum, (brown hair and brown eyes, and blonde hair and blue eyes), but their personalities are just as opposite.

Bella is extremely competetive with lots of patience for monotonous tasks, while Angel is perfectly happy being noncompetitive and quick to need changes while performing monotonous tasks. Which explains the scenario that took place on Monday afternoon.



Bella is very interested in art and drawing and has been asking me if she can sign up for an art class for many weeks now. At the recommendation from a friend, I signed her up for a free trial class at a local art studio. Angel expressed that she would also like to try it out, so on the day of the lesson, I asked if she too, could join. The teacher gladly accepted her attendance as well.



Both Angel and Bella chose a picture that they would be working on...a present for Angel and a mouse for Bella.

Bella was very into the class, listening to the teacher, carrying out the directions she was given, and waiting patiently for her next task.Because I've already explained to you that Angel is on the opposite end of the spectrum, you can only imagine how her lesson was progressing. She hopped off her bench more times than I can count on my fingers and toes combined, she drew her picture and colored it in with chalk before the teacher ever gave her her first direction, and she knocked a box off her neighbors art area, sending no less than 100 pieces of colorful chalk toppling to the carpeted area below.

Needless to say, I could read frustration all over the instructor's face. Which is why she casually moseyed on over to where I was sitting to inform me that she was pretty sure we had reached the end of Angel's lesson.



It was not an easy task as a mother to make this announcement to a little girl who was having a wonderful time, feeling like she was doing a fabulous job.



I took her outside and tried to explain the problems. Through crocodile tears, she explained that there were no problems what-so-ever, and that she had to get back inside to finish her picture. Little did she know, her picture had already been removed, and her area prepared for the next art student. The only thing she could think to do was call her daddy and explain to him the injustice that was being handed out!

Upon completion of the actual lesson, I was once again reminded just how different my girls are...one with the stamina and work ethic of a little mouse, and the other, who thinks outside the box, not taking any direction from the professional!

Now I'm off to think of a really good excuse as to why we won't be heading back to art class next Monday evening!

1 comment:

A Perfect Pandemonium said...

They both did a great job! Maybe the art place will just be "closed" next Monday. That happens a lot around here!!