Thursday, October 18, 2007

Laws of Kamahi

I know that many of you have heard of the following laws:

Laws of Thermodynamics
Law of Evolving Systems
Murphy's Law

The list could go on and on.

Today, while trying to deal with four children, all while being knocked out by a miserable ocular migraine, I realized that I could list many laws that prevail in my house.

When A or B happen, C is bound to follow closely behind.

Humor me, and read on. Many of these same laws may also prevail in your household! In fact, I'm sure most of them do...

1. The moment I get on the phone, something tragic happens, demanding my attention.
2. My kids are "starving," until the moment I put their food in front of them, they have a "horrible" stomach ache. (Unless of course the meal is grilled cheese, quesadilla, or deviled eggs)
3. Three to five days after visiting a public place, a major cold epidemic breaks out in our home.
4. The day my husband leaves town for business, a major cold epidemic breaks out in our home.
5. If I plan a playdate with my friends too far in advance, a major cold epidemic breaks out in our home, THE DAY BEFORE the scheduled playdate!
6. If I pour the kids milk in a regular cup and they are eating outside, no spills take place. If I pour them a glass of milk in a regular cup and they are eating inside, it ends up all over the floor, the wall, and whatever child is in the vicinity.
7. When I am sitting on the floor, involved in whatever activity with the kids, peace abounds on all sides. The moment I step away, a war breaks out.
8. If I am relaxing on the floor, in less than 3 minutes, I am at the bottom of a 4-child dog-pile.
9. When I am most tired, and in need of a good-nights sleep, one, two, three, or maybe even four children will wake up "needing me."
10. If my children don't wake up "needing me," then inevitably my husband will!

I could write a 500-page book merely listing the "laws" that prevail in my home.

I need to be sure to add the most infamous law around....

When Mommy ain't happy, there ain't nobody happy!

1 comment:

Deborah Halverson said...

The Milk Rule is one I can really relate to. Why does that happen? It doesn't make sense. And it drives me NUTS!

Nice list. I see a few that I can look forward to when the boys get bigger. Oy.