Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Confessions of a Guilty Mom

As a doting mother, wanting all four of her children to look adorable this Halloween, I diligently sewed four clown costumes that were much too detailed to ever be bought in a costume shop. They were outfitted from head-to-toe...from colorful bows to colorful beaded socks. I spent lots of time creating these costumes, even though I am NOT a fan of Halloween.

I was so excited for the kids to wear their costumes to school today, that I was up at the crack of dawn, getting myself ready so I could help my clowns when they awoke. One by one, I helped them get into their costumes, finishing them off with a painted face, per their directions.

It wasn't until we walked into their classroom that the guilt struck me. Did I fail to mention that Isaac did NOT want to be a clown? Although he never once complained while I was getting him ready, nor did he complain when we got to school, I could see the disappointment on his little face when he noticed that EVERY other little boy was either a pirate or a super hero. You know...things little boys want to dress up as. He rattled off the name of every one of those boys' characters, and immediately, I felt 1 inch tall. I wanted so badly to whisk him back home and sew up a super hero costume that would put all the others to shame. I didn't make mention of my guilt to my handsome little clown, for he was by far the cutest little character in the whole class.

PS. Should I feel more guilty about the fact that I refuse to take them trick-or-treating tonight? After all, it is my one night a week off, and I wasn't budging to accomodate a holiday that I don't even care for. Each time someone in their class asked where we would be trick-or-treating tonight, I gingerly brought my index finger to my lips, shushing away the subject. What is trick-or-treating?

No comments: